Celebrated Kashmiri singer Raj Begum passed away on 26 October 2016 in Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir. She was 89.
Begum was one of the most recognized female singers in the Kashmir Valley. She had rendered thousands of songs from Radio Kashmir in Srinagar and in live concerts at other places in India and abroad.
About Raj Begum
• Raj Begum was born on 27 March 1927.
• She started singing at locality weddings before she joined Radio Kashmir in 1954. There she became one of the main melodies that the station would broadcast.
• She retired from the Radio Kashmir in 1986.
• There is no official record of how many songs she sang. However, her most famous song was “vyasiye gulan aavuy bahar, az saal antam baliyar (Dear friend, the flowers have started blooming and I hope that my beloved will come this year)”.
• She was also referred to as the Nightingale of Kashmir.
• She was awarded Padma Shri in 2002.
• She was bestowed with State award by Jammu and Kashmir government in 2009.
• She was honoured with the Sangeet Akademi award in 2013.