Noted contemporary artist Yusuf Arakkal passes away on 4 Oct 2016
Noted contemporary artist Yusuf Arakkal passed away on 4 October 2016 in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He was 71.
Arakkal had recently released a book called Faces of Creativity, which is a comprehensive collection of portraits of fellow artists. It was the first time that an Indian artist had done portraits of other artists.
About Yusuf Arakkal
• Yusuf Arakkal was a Malayali painter based in Bengaluru.
• He took a diploma in painting from Karnataka Chitrakala Parishat (KCP), Bangalore.
• Later, he specialized in graphic print making from National Academy community studios, Garhi, Delhi.
• Recently, he received the prestigious Lorenzo De Medici Gold Medal, at Florence Internazionale Biennale, in Florence, Italy for his work Bacon’s Man with the Child and Priest.
• He had produced a large collection of miscellaneous works consisting of drawings, paintings, sculptures, murals, paper works, prints and writing.
• He had won several other awards including Karnataka Lalithkala Academy award in 1979 and 1981, a national award in 1983, a special award at the third Asian Art Biennale Dhaka, Bangladesh in 1986 and the Karnataka Lalithkala Academy honour in 1989.