Punjab Directorate on 27 October 2016 won the 2016 National Cadet Corp (NCC) National Games. Subhash Bhamre, Minister of State for Defence, presented trophies to the winners at the closing ceremony at Delhi Cantonment.
Sunil Bharti Mittal, Founder and Chairman of Bharti Enterprises, was on 27 October 2016 appointed as Chairman of GSMA. As GSMA Chairman, Mittal will oversee the strategic direction of the organisation.
Union Cabinet on 27 October 2016 gave its in-principle approval to NITI Aayog’s proposal for strategic sale of over a dozen public sector undertakings (PSUs).
The Union Cabinet on 27 October 2016 approved the first Cadre Review of IP&TAFS.
All India Radio’s (AIR’s) entry Diary of a Tiger (एक बाघ की डायरी) in October 2016 won the first prize in the Community Service Announcement category of the prestigious Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) awards for the year 2016.
Dairy of a Tiger was declared the winner at an award ceremony held in Bali, Indonesia, on the sidelines of ongoing 53rd ABU General Assembly and Associated Meetings. The award includes a trophy, certificate and cash prize of 2000 US Dollars.
Abhinay Srivastava received his award by Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) in association with RRI (Radio Republic Indonesia) & MMIT (Ministry of Communication and Informatics), Indonesia.
About Diary of a Tiger (एक बाघ की डायरी)
- The programme was produced by Abhinay Srivastava, Programme Executive, AIR Allahabad.
- The selected programme is an 89 second spot in Hindi on the dwindling forests and gradually decreasing habitat of tigers.
- It reflects through the notes inscribed by the successive generations of tigers in a diary format on their gradual decreasing numbers due to apathetic behaviour of human beings.
ABU Prizes 2016 (Radio) included six categories
- News Reporting
- Community Service Announcement (CSA)
- Interactive Programmes
- Innovative Programmes
AIR had submitted its entries in four categories namely, Drama, Documentary, CSA and innovative categories.
2016 RADIO WINNERS
|Drama||Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), Iran||Vibration|
|Documentary||Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK), Hong Kong||An Age of Our Own:
War Times – 70th Anniversary Commemoration of the End of WWII
|News Reporting||Radio and Television of the People’s Republic of China (RTPRC) | China National Radio (CNR), China||36 Days|
|Community Service Announcement (CSA)||All India Radio (AIR), India||Diary of a tiger|
|Interactive Programme||Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB)
|Innovative Programme||Radio and Television of the People’s Republic of China (RTPRC) | China National Radio (CNR), China||Chinese Voice – Chinese New Year|
|Special Jury Prize||Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication, (BNNRC) | Radio Chillmari, Bangladesh||The Destroyed Dream|
India and New Zealand on 26 October 2016 signed three agreements in the areas of double taxation avoidance, food security and sports.
Celebrated Kashmiri singer Raj Begum passed away on 26 October 2016 in Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir. She was 89.
Haryana Government has decided to observe 2017 as the “Garib Kalyan Varsh”. The announcement was made by Chief Minister Manohar Lal on 26 October 2016.
Tiangong-2, the experimental space lab of China, on 23 October 2016 successfully launched a micro-satellite, Banxing-2 (the word means Companion Satellite). The micro-satellite is roughly the size of a desktop printer.
At present, Tiangong-2 is orbiting the Earth with two astronauts on board.
- Weighing 47 kilograms, the micro satellite has a series of visible light cameras, including a 25 megapixel camera and wide-angle imagers.
- Its mission is to take photographs of Tiangong-2 and the Shenzhou 11 spacecraft, which docked with the lab on 19 October 2016.
- The satellite, which the media has nicknamed “Selfie Stick”, also has an infrared camera that is temperature – sensitive.
- With three solar panels, the satellite can also generate enough power to adjust its orbit to shoot pictures of the lab and spacecraft.
- The Shenzhou-11 spacecraft carried two astronauts into space on the 17 October 2016. It docked with Tiangong-2 two days later.
• In 2008, its predecessor, Banxing-1, did the same work for Shenzhou 7.
Portugal’s Renato Sanches on 24 October 2016 was awarded the 2016 European Golden Boy award.