The apex court also said the anthem must be accompanied by an image of the tricolour on the silver screen.
India’s national anthem must be played in all cinema halls before a movie starts, ruled the Supreme Court today. The order would come into force in ten days’ time.
The apex court also said the playing of the national anthem must be accompanied by an image of the tricolour on the silver screen.
It will also be mandatory for every member in the audience to stand up and pay their respects to the anthem, the apex court added.
In further directives to the government, the Supreme Court said the national anthem should not be printed or displayed on undesirable objects.
There should not be any dramatisation of the national anthem too, it added. The court has also barred any playing of the abridged version of the anthem.
FOR PATRIOTISM AND NATIONALISM
A bench of Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Amitava Roy said that this would instil feeling of constitutional patriotism and nationalism.
The bench said: “It is the duty of every citizen to abide by the ideals ingrained in the Constitution and as such show respect to the National Anthem and the national flag.”
“The national anthem is a matter of national integrity, unity and identity and as well as constitutional patriotism,” the apex court said in its ruling.
The court’s order came on a public interest litigation (PIL) by Shayam Narayan Chouksey seeking framing of guidelines on the playing of the National Anthem.
In October, writer Salil Chaturvedi, also a wheel-chair bound paraplegic, was assaulted by a couple in a Goa movie hall for not standing for the national anthem. The incident had triggered a massive outrage.
Source: India Today
“We have to rest up well. I’m feeling fairly jaded now and I think the lads are,” England skipper Alastair Cook admitted. But the admission came not on Tuesday evening, when they laid the hopes of a 2012 encore to rest. This was, surprisingly, Cook speaking of himself and his side on the last day of the Rajkot Test, a match where they had genuinely harried India. Nearly two-and-a-half weeks have passed since, with the next two Tests coming and going at breakneck pace, and the signs of fatigue all the more perceptible. So much so that Cook’s statement appears ever more relevant now.
For, by the time Parthiv Patel smeared the four that ushered in India’s unassailability in the five-match series, England were an exasperated bunch, drained of energy and crippled of imagination. At mid-wicket, James Anderson was down on his hunches; Cook, at mid-off, dragged himself to congratulate his Indian counterpart; Chris Woakes, standing at long-on, grabbed a few gulps of Gatorade. They wore the look of a side not just thoroughly beaten, but also disenchanted, and desperate for a break that would refresh their spirits and bodies. The getaway to Dubai, before the Mumbai Test starting on December 8, might not have been timelier.
Source: The Indian Express
Cash to the tune of Rs 98 billion was transferred to the account of Balwinder Singh on November 4, four days ahead of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi announcement of abolishing high-value bank notes.
However, the amount was deducted from his account the very next day.
Since then, Singh has visited all branches of his bank in the city to end suspense on the mysterious transaction, but is still dissatisfied as no bank employee is willing to clear the air about the episode.
“I am not satisfied with what the bank manager is telling me about the amount that has been transferred to my account. Bank manager is telling it is not their fault so I am not satisfied with it,” said Singh on Tuesday.
Local media reports say that Singh has also accused the bank of taking his passbook and issuing a new one without entering the amount credit and subsequent debit.
Income Tax Officer Kapil Kishore said statements of the bank employees were being recorded to probe the matter.
“The bank account holder said that he has no connection with the transferred amount. It is the responsibility of the bank manager to investigate how such a huge amount was transferred. The driver has also mentioned in his application that the bank has asked him to submit his passbook. We will check the bank records after taking permission from the bank and our higher authorities. We will also record the bank manager`s statement and conduct investigations based on all facts,” said Kishore.
Source: The Tribune
For anyone who might like to see Michelle Obama run for president as a Democrat, it’s time to rein in that early enthusiasm. Or so says her husband, President Barack Obama.
“Michelle will never run for office,” the president said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine done the day after Donald Trump’s surprise win, and amid some social media swirl urging the first lady to consider throwing her hat in the ring.
“She is as talented a person as I know. You can see the incredible resonance she has with the American people. But I joke that she’s too sensible to want to be in politics,” Obama said.
Her confidence and style struck a strong chord on the campaign trail, where she supported Hillary Clinton. The first lady slammed Trump’s attitude toward and treatment of women.
Obama, who will be 53 when she leaves the White House, is the first black first lady in American history. Her husband is 55.
A Harvard-educated lawyer, she will leave the White House on January 20 enjoying sky-high ratings — approved by 79 percent of the American public, according to a recent Gallup survey. That makes her more popular than her husband, the first African American president of the United States.
Asked about her ambitions in the past, Michelle Obama has repeatedly said that she would not follow in the footsteps of Hillary Clinton, who ran for the presidency her husband Bill held from 1993-2001.
Source: Hindustan Times
With the Centre rooting for cashless transactions, following the decision to ban high-value notes on November 8, the Union urban development ministry has asked all the 4,041 municipalities across India to shift to e-payments at the earliest.
These municipalities account for 75% of the total 40 crore urban population in the country.
Urban development secretary Rajiv Gauba has directed the urban local bodies to develop the facility for both income and expenditure related transactions, which include payment of property tax, water and power bills, all kinds of fee and licence charges, online booking of community halls and issue and renewal of birth and death certificate.
Municipalities have also been told to pay salaries through e-payment. Some municipalities, for instance seven cities in Madhya Pradesh, have already adopted cashless transactions.
Source: Hindustan Times
The Delhi Police have arrested Sikh militant leader Harminder Singh Mintoo who was freed with five others when 10 gunmen stormed a high-security jail in Punjab on Sunday, reports said Monday morning.
The self-styled chief of the Khalistan Liberation Force, Harminder Singh Mintoo, his aide Kashmir Singh Galwadi and four gangsters were freed when the gunmen dressed as policemen tricked their way into Nabha high-security prison.
The attackers fired more than 200 rounds before escaping in getaway cars — a sedan, a hatchback and an SUV. The entire operation lasted not more than 10 minutes, indicating the attackers were familiar with the jail’s layout and routine.
One of the attackers, Palwinder Singh alias Pinda, was arrested from Uttar Pradesh’s Kairana later in the evening. A self-loading rifle, two rifles, bullets and cash were found on him.
He was travelling in the car in which Mintoo was driven off from the jail. Pinda told the police that Mintoo got off at Panipat in Haryana, which is barely 85km from Delhi.
Mintoo’s escape came as a huge embarrassment for the Punjab Police. The 49-year-old was arrested in November 2014 at the New Delhi airport after he was deported from Thailand. He was wanted in at least 10 terrorism-related offences, including the 2008 attack on Sirsa-based Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh and recovery of explosives at Halwara air force station in 2010.
Source: Hindustan Times
PARIS: Francois Fillon, a conservative reformist promising to shrink the French state, on Sunday clinched the rightwing nomination for next year’s presidential election with a resounding victory over his rival Alain Juppe.
Ex-prime minister Fillon, 62, will now become a favourite to be France’s next leader after winning the US-style primary to pick the nominee of the Republicans party and its allies.
Near-complete results showed him winning 66.5 percent of the vote, with ballots counted from 9,915 polling stations out of 10,229.
In a victory speech, the amateur rally driver said he had “torn up all the pre-written scripts” as he sped past his rivals in the last weeks of the campaign.
“France can no longer bear its decline. France wants the truth and France wants action,” he told cheering supporters after Juppe, a centrist, conceded defeat.
The French presidential vote is seen as a key test for mainstream political parties after the success of Donald Trump and the Brexit campaign in Britain, both of which harnessed anti-elite anger.
Fillon will face fierce competition in the two-round election in April and May from far-right leader Marine Le Pen, the anti-establishment candidate hoping to emulate Trump’s shock victory in the US.
Fillon said a win for the anti-EU Le Pen would spell “bankruptcy”.
Two surveys late Sunday put Fillon ahead of Le Pen in the first round of the election, with the left-wing candidates trailing further behind.
Promising to be the candidate of “all those who in their hearts are proud to be French,” he pledged to turn the page on a “pathetic” Socialist presidency.
Turnout in the primary stood at around four million, roughly the same as in the first round of voting a week ago when Fillon came from behind to lead a field of seven candidates.
England once again showed their fighting spirit as a unit and also probably gave a fair indication as to why despite losing in Visakhapatnam by a margin of 246 runs, India cannot take them lightly.
India had steadily and slowly established a position of strength with Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara adding 75 for the third wicket. In defense of a lowly 283, England bowlers were relentless and coupled with some incisive bowling had kept India in check. Only 88 runs came for hosts in the post lunch session and with the ball reverse swinging England skipper Alastair Cook did well to give extended spells to both Ben Stokes and Chris Woakes. Till then England had given Murali Vijay a reprieve with Jos Buttler spilling a chance. Pujara had also survived when Jonny Bairstow dropped him on 35.
“I think, I would say we were not struggling the lines which they were bowling were a little negative. I felt we batted and showed character, when we build that partnership (with Kohli) was crucial for team the second session,” Pujara said.
It was only after tea that they reaped the dividends of sticking to the game plan. Two superb fielding efforts and a superb ball by Adil Rashid handed England all the impetus needed to take control of the match.
Chris Woakes did well to dive and hold on to a low catch of Pujara, while next-in Ajinkya Rahane was done in by a googly. Jos Buttler probably provided the additional spark when his diving effort to stop the ball and then quick throw found debutant Karun Nair short of crease.
“271 for six, we’ll take that at the end of the day. Probably, bowled exceptionally well as a team. Stuck to our plans and we got rewards at the end of the session. They got a little partnership but you know it happens in cricket that can happen. But we come back tomorrow and try and knock them over quickly,” Rashid said. In the end India did manage to post a recovery with R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja taking India to within 13 runs of first innings lead.
“It was a very important final session. The pitch seems good enough. We have still got four wickets tomorrow to get,” Rashid said.
Source: Hindustan Times
Anandpur Sahib (Punjab): Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who on Friday offered his prayers at Gurdwara Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib here, hailed Guru Gobind Singh for fighting cruelty with bravery. Prime Minister Modi while addressing a public function to mark the celebration of the 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh said there is a need to inspire the current generation to follow the path of unity shown by him.
“Guru Gobind ji Maharaj fought cruelty with bravery, gave message of unity to people. We have to inspire present generations to follow same,” Prime Minister said.
Sporting a saffron headgear, Prime Minister Modi was presented a ‘siropa’ or robe of honour by the Sikh priests at the historic gurdwara, the second holiest of Sikh shrines after Amritsar’s Golden Temple.
The 10th Sikh master, Guru Gobind Singh, founded the Khalsa Panth (religion of the pure) at Takht Keshgarh Sahib, 85 km from Chandigarh, in present day Ropar district of Punjab on April 13, 1699.
Source: Zee News