Kristalina Georgieva was on 2 November 2016 appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA) of the World Bank Group with effect from January 2017.
Her appointment was confirmed by the World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim. IBRD and IDA are the lending arms of the World Bank.
About Kristalina Georgieva
• Georgieva is a Bulgarian national and has held multiple positions at the World Bank Group between 1993-2010 focusing on economics and sustainable development.
• In her last role at the bank she served as Vice President, Corporate Secretariat, the interlocutor between the World Bank Group’s senior management, its Board of Directors and its shareholder countries.
• After leaving the World Bank Group in 2010, she played an important role in shaping the agenda of the European Commission as a Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid.
• In her current role as European Commission Vice President for Budget and Human Resource, she is in charge of the European Union’s 175 billion US dollars budget and 33000 staff.
• She also served as co-chair of the United Nations Secretary-General’s High-Level Panel on Humanitarian Financing, where she secured a more effective system to meet the needs of vulnerable people.
Source: Jagran Josh