The Palampur Assembly Constituency of Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh became the first e-assembly constituency of the country. The system was inaugurated by State Assembly speaker Brij Behari Lal Butail at a function held in Palampur on 22 November 2016.
The system will help the residents of the constituency to know about the development works going on by one click on the computer. In addition, the residents would also send their requirements about funds for different schemes in their respective areas online.
This system would be introduced in other 67 constituencies of the state in next six months.
Comment: This conversion of the Palampur into an e-constituency is Himachal Pradesh government’s commitment to Union Government’s Digital India mission.
Note: It is necessary to mention that the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly was the first assembly of India to adopt the e-Vidhan system, making it paperless. This e-Vidhan system helped the state in automating the day to day functioning of assembly. The system was launched with following objectives
- To take environment-friendly measures by reducing paper usage and increase online communications
- Removal of unneeded processes which were responsible for delaying the flow of information among various stakeholders
- To improve efficiency in working
- Auto-compilation of queries and reports
- To monitor works in Vidhan Sabha and Government departments and others
Source: Jagran Josh