President Pranab Mukherjee on 6 October 2016 inaugurated the first edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) in New Delhi.
The theme for the summit is Beyond 2015: People, Planet and Progress. The summit is being organized by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
About the World Sustainable Development Summit
- The World Sustainable Development Summit has evolved from the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit, the annual event of TERI.
- The WSDS brings together Nobel laureates, political leaders, decision-makers from bilateral and multilateral institutions, among others, to deliberate on issues related to sustainable development.
- It aims to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the global community by assembling the various stakeholders on a single platform.
Components of the WSDS
- World CEO Sustainability Summit:It is a platform for business leaders to define a path and evolve a strategy to facilitate development whilst protecting the environment.
- Thematic Tracks:It is a parallel breakaway sessions led by area experts that aim at providing feasible solutions to challenges faced by local and global communities in maintaining the balance between securing environmental sustainability and development.
- Media Colloquium:It is a forum to sensitise mid-career journalists from around the world on issues of sustainability and climate change.
- Youth Leaders:The platform aims at engaging youth from around the globe in the sustainable development discourse, record their experiences, and encourage positive action on their part.
- Greenovation Exhibition:It provides an opportunity for global players to showcase technologies in the areas of renewable energy, waste management, sustainable buildings, sustainable transport, water management and financing for sustainable development and energy efficiency.