PV Sindhu wins China Open Super Series title
PV Sindhu on 20 November 2016 won the 700000 US dollars China Open badminton tournament. This was the first Super Series Premier title for the Indian Olympic silver medallist and two-time bronze medallist at World Championship.
In the summit clash that lasted for an hour and nine minutes, Sindhu defeated Sun Yu of China 21-11, 17-21, 21-11. The final was played at Fuzhou, China.
With this win, she also became the third non-Chinese woman to win the title. The previous two winners were Malaysia’s Wong Mew Choo (2007) and India’s own Saina Nehwal (2014).
List of Winners
- Men’s Singles:Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark won the men’s singles title. In the final clash, he defeated Chen Long 22-20 21-13. This was first World Super Series title for Jorgensen in over 28 months.
- Women’s Singles:PV Sindhu of India won the women’s singles title. This was a first World Super Series title for Sindhu.
- Men’s Doubles:Marcus Fernaldi Gideon (Indonesia) and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (Indonesia) won the men’s doubles title.
- Women’s Doubles: Chang Ye-Na (South Korea) and Lee So-hee (South Korea) won the women’s doubles title of the super-series.
- Mixed Doubles:Tontowi Ahmad (Indonesia) and Liliyana Natsir (Indonesia) won the mixed title.
The China Open is badminton tournament that is annually held in China. In 2007, it became a part of the BWF Super Series tournaments in 2007.