Union Government launches Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda in the first week of November 2016 launched Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) in New Delhi.
The scheme aims at providing pregnant women ante-natal services and required treatment for free at government health centres and hospitals on 9th of every month.
The scheme had also found its mention in the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s monthly radio address Mann Ki Baat in June 2016.
Key objectives of the scheme
- To provide healthy life to pregnant women
- To lower the maternity mortality rate
- To make pregnant women aware of their health issues and diseases
- To ensure safe delivery and healthy life of the baby
Key highlights of the scheme
- The Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan is applicable for all pregnant women. It will provide medical checkups completely free to pregnant women.
- The checkups will take place at the medical centres, government and private hospitals and private clinics across the country.
- These free of cost tests will include blood pressure, sugar level, weight, haemoglobin test, blood test and screening.
- Women will be marked differently using coloured stickers based on their health problems so that doctors can easily detect the problem.